Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Record Cold

Lauren has been on cloud nine because one of her little dance buddies has "tippy toe shoe" and has let Lauren wear them during break time at dance class (this is her NON ballet dance class).  She was so excited that I got there at break time because she wanted me to take pictures and video.  She wants those shoes so badly, but the ballet teacher says she's not old enough.  Lauren insisted that the teacher did NOT know what she was talking about and her friend is six and already has them.  So, to prove my point I had her go ask her little friend how old she was.  The look on Lauren's face was priceless.  "Mom, she said she is NINE!" :)
This week we have been seeing record lows and unusual weather for our region. It has been in the 30's and many around us saw a dusting of snow and we had sleet! (that's one for the history books)  I know we have been in much colder in the States, but it always seems way colder here.  I think in part because the city is built for the usually warm climate, so there is no insulation, everything is made of concrete, and you can forget about central heating!  I felt so bad going to wake the girls up this morning for school. Lauren was completely covered head to toe sound asleep and it was COLD!
 We have a thermostat for school that we used to see the temperature inside our house.  It is a balmy 52 degrees WITH the space heaters going.  Even the cat is cold. Haha!  He kept getting closer and closer to try and steal some of Regan's body heat.  I missed the best shot where he had his head buried in her armpit and the rest of him was in as small of a ball as possible!  My friend gave me a "hot water bag" for Christmas and boy has it saved my hands!  It's my new favorite item.
 And just another way to know it's cold is when your children sleep in earmuffs, jackets, and gloves.  No not all of them, but they are bundling up.  Not to mention showers...it's a love hate relationship... hate the ice cold tile floor in the shower, love the hot water to warm you up, hate the ice cold water that sits on the floor after you turn the water off.  Thank goodness for space heaters!
 A few of the blankets did not get delivered with the others, so a friend just sent me a few pics from her phone when she delivered them.
 The timing couldn't have been any better!  It just started snowing.
 Katherine's finished train track.  She's not normally one to play with it, but I think it gave her an excuse to sit by the heater. haha!
 And this cracked me up...my son, Benjamin, and his not so subtle hint about his upcoming birthday.  He wants a vet party and apparently he thinks we are getting him a golden retriever....keep dreaming buddy. Now to brainstorm on how to pull off a vet party! Hmmm.