Sunday, May 2, 2010

Canadian Culture

You wouldn't think that Canada would be that different from the States, but I am beginning to see the differences. The longer we are here, the more I notice. For example, electrical boxes are painted with all kinds of scenic pictures. I guess it is better than the typical gray, and to my surprise, it really does keep them from standing out so much.
Also, the ABC song is NOT universally the same. Here, it is not X Y Z, but X Y Zed. I just can't get used to that one.
I've mentioned before about the grocery bags costing per bag, so bring your own. Well, I forgot to mention that you also have to bag your own. On a busy day you better be quick at this because the people checking you out just keep on going!
Escalators go up but not down. Makes sense to me. Do we really need to ride down? Also, it took me about a week to realize that people rode the escalator in a straight line instead of side by side. Then, I saw the sign: Stand Right, Walk Left.
People listen to music everywhere. Over half the people you come in contact with will have earbuds in. It can make it a challenge to talk to people.
When you get your driver's license, they issue these huge yellow stickers that have a big N on them and they have to be plastered all over your car for the first year (same with learner except they get big L's)
Buses have the right of way. Really, they do. If you are in a car and a bus is turning, merging, or whatever, you better get out of the way.
There are red lights that flash green all the time. That is because they are pedestrian crossings. When you want to cross the street, you push the little button, and within seconds the light becomes a red light and all traffic is stopped for you. I guess the days of just stepping out into traffic on UT's campus and hoping that cars will stop are gone :)
The last one for today is that there are no school buses (with the exception of a very few private schools). Kids either walk to school or ride public transit to get there. I've also been told that the kids eat lunch in their classroom with no teacher supervision. Can you imagine that working in the states? I think the room would be a disaster when the teacher returned.

We went to the park this week. Katherine is still enjoying the idea of dressing herself. I thought she was kindof cute.

Another bit of culture that we are learning is that kids don't just get out and play. They make friends through school and activities. So, we let Benjamin sign up for a trial class of Taekwondo. He is loving it! After we arrived (ie after this picture) someone showed me the correct way to tie the belt. He really loves the kicking, punching, hitting, yelling, and the not getting in trouble for it :) Regan also got to try a gymnastics class. They had a little break for water and I asked her how she was liking it. She said, "Mom, I've made some friends!" The response was all I needed to know that we made the right decision in letting them do some kind of activity here.

We had a little get together with some friends and Lauren ate some pizza. I really just liked this picture because of all those curls!

Oh, and this. THIS was highlight of the week for the kids. Not only did they get mail, but they got all kinds of goodies. Cereals, candy, and goldfish, and a movie too! They had so much fun. There wasn't much posing to the picture. I just had to move them around to get them all in one picture.

Katherine has made friends at church. Her teachers were very excited today that Katherine spoke. For those who may not know Katherine very well, she is very shy. It usually takes weeks or months before she will get comfortable enough to talk. She was even singing the songs today, waved bye to her teacher, and then gave her a big hug.