Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hats Off Day

So, it may appear that we are always having a holiday here. I guess we do celebrate a lot here. It is a great way to talk lots of people! Saturday was Hats Off Day. I had no idea what to expect. All I knew is there was a parade in the morning and that the main street was closed from 8:30-4:30. I knew I didn't want to miss it. This picture was taken 1 block from our house! Basically, they were celebrating all the people that make the community a community (just another reason to celebrate) :) As you can see, it was a very popular place to be.

Benjamin was actually in the parade! That's him kicking. He has been taking Taekwondo and his class kicked there way down the entire parade route. Actually, they kicked up the route. It was uphill the entire way and it was 10 city blocks! I was quite impressed. The only time they went downhill was the last half a block. Needless to say, he was tired. We then has to walk all the way back to the start of the parade because that is where is instructor was having hotdogs and our home is there.


They are nearing the end here. Benjamin was no longer running to the back of the line at this point.



His class that walked the parade.



After the parade, the streets filled with people, activities, and booths. Regan got her arm painted, got a ballon, painted a flower pot and received free seeds to plant, got a snowcone, lots of free junk, received Canadian Mounted Police tattoos from the police, and got to throw some balls at the fireman's dunking booth. She was in her element and was a little sad when it was all over. The other kids actually went home after lunch and crashed until dinner time.


This is a little boy that we met. I couldn't get him to smile for the picture, so I said the Mandarin word for smile and this is what I got. I was glad that a 3 yr old could understand me :) His parents (we met at that day) have offered to help us with our Mandarin studies.




This is the KID CONE that I agreed to buy them. What was I thinking? No, they didn't get too wound up from it. Our hardests adjustment right now is still all this daylight! It is great, but before you know it, it's waaaayyyy past bedtime and still the sun is shining bright. A typical day right now is sunup at 5:00 and sunset around 10:00 We've been told that they will keep getting longer.


The kids were invited to a birthday party this week. They has so much fun playing with all the other kids.

They were out on the playground and were fascinated by a moth (they called it a butterfly).


Regan enjoyed having if fly and crawl on her. The kids had so much fun with it. Who needs a playground?

Earlier in the week, I went out to eat with some girls to a Mongolian restaurant. I had never had it before and it was really good. You put everything you want in a bowl and leave it "in line" to be cooked by the chef. He cooks it with what looks like really big chopsticks. He just keeps scooting it around the grill until it is finished. I wonder how many times he walks in a circle per day?

The last thing is my littlest one has some new moves. We were eating out with my dad before he left for the States at a place called Splitz Grill. They were playing some hip hop type music and Lauren really was getting into it. I was glad I was able to catch a little bit on camera. I just wish that you could hear the music in the background. Enjoy the new moves!
(I couldn't get the actual video to post this time on our blog, but here is the link to watch it)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6VB2biYRgc&feature=channel