Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Mommy Trip

I want to start by thanking everyone back home who sent packages, cards, made phone calls, etc to Katherine on her birthday. You truly made it a special day (actually a special few days because the packages and cards all came on different days)
This week. I went with some friends to Hong Kong for a few days. It was a real treat in every way! The kids had school, so I talked to them on Skype at night. At times, I felt like I was back in America. Hong Kong is such a tourist city that everyone can speak English and there were many commodoties available that I have not seen in a long while.

It is, however, closer to New York City than my hometown of Knoxville :) People are everywhere! A picture cannot capture it adaquately. I really enjoyed it. I even got some Christmas shopping done while I was there. I know, it's a little early, but I have to think far in advance these days.

This was another HUGE treat...hamburger and fries!! It was even USDA meat. haha. Does that mean they shipped it over? Hmmm. It was excellent though. I thought of Regan while I was eating it because she would always want my pickle. I told her that we might try to go back to the restraunt sometime. I ate waaay too much :)

Anther thing that we found was a great toy store. It was great to see. They had many lego creations on display that were neat to look at. I bought each of the kids a "surprise" to take home with me. I got a mind/puzzle game for Regan, an icecream game for Katherine, a remote contolled matchbox car for Benjamin, and a shape sorter for Lauren. We have had hours of fun with all of it.


Just about every bus in the city is a double decker bus. It was my first time to ride in one. Truthfully, it was not that much different than a regular bus, but it was fun to say that I have ridden on one now. If you sit in the front of the top deck, it does have a nice view. Another British influence is that they drive on the left side of the road and the driver seat is on the right side of the car.

Just a random picture. I had just not seen a fire hydrant quite so big before. It is the same size as this man! I guess with all the really tall buildings all so close together, they needed a really tall fire hydrant.

One night we had to walk down an alley (not like in the movies...it was safe...don't worry...we were one of hundreds of people walking through) On the walls, there were all of these mosaic pictures. I was told that they do that all over the city to prevent graffiti. It appeared to work.

So, not everything seemed like America. Hong Kong still has it's Asian flare. These are some octopus tenticles. I tried the squid. It was alright, but the plum sauce with it was a little over the top for me. I think more than anything, I just didn't hang around this stall very long because of the smell. It was famous for it's stinky tofu. And yes, it lives up to it's name. It really does stink. I did not try it, so I cannot speak to how it tastes, but many people here really like it.

Duck anyone? It's good, but I have never bought it myself :)

While I was there, I took this picture for Benjamin's good friend, Nathan Moore. We hope you like it! You have your very own road in Hong Kong! (this portion was typed by the lovely Regan S. her blogging debut) mommy is so crazey