Sunday, April 10, 2011

Benjamin Turns 6

Benjamin was so excited about it being his birthday! It happened to be Tomb Sweeping Day here, so all the kids were out of school. He got up early and got dressed in his birthday attire. He came up to our room to wake us up and I see "Buzz LightYear" wearing a crown. He wore it all day and changed his mind last minute and put on normal clothes for his party.
Our neighbors were just as excited as he was when it came to opening the gifts. The girl made him a card and it is still in his room.


This is our Ayi (househelper that takes care of Lauren during the day) whom we LOVE. This picture is very fitting. I don't think Lauren will know what to do when we come back to the States. She never has to feed herself (she is able...but not always given the chance) Even when we go out to eat, the workers at the restaurant will just stand around our table and watch us eat and then they will just start feeding Lauren.


Here is a picture of the twins that we play with every week. The kids had fun picking flowers and replanting them in the sand :)


Benjamin was very excited about his Ben 10 birthday cake. I found these little figurines online and was hoping that they would work for cake decorations. It was perfect.


Benjamin opening some of his presents. He got this red hat that just fits his personality.


But this was the best surprise. He got a guitar. You can see by his face how surprised and excited and happy he was. He has been taking guitar lessons at his school. We did not want to buy him something like that until we found out if he was really going to enjoy it. He loves it!


He plays/practices every day. He said one day he will play the guitar for our family on Sundays and we can all sing together instead of using the computer for music. I think that sounds like a wonderful idea! It is good for him. The other day he told me that he was upset and angry about something, so he decided to just got to his room and play music on his guitar to make him feel better.
These are Benjamin's teachers. He really wanted them to come to his party and it was so special for him that they came...even on their day off! They have been wonderful teachers and all the students love them. The teacher on the left (Benjamin's right) also plays the guitar, so after he opened it she played and he sang. Very Cute :)


We found yet another park. It was very loud seeing as they had music blaring and machinery working on a roller coaster all at the same time. It ended up beign very enjoyable once we got far enough in where there was no music.


There are these statues all over the city and they all hav ethis stone ball inside their mouth. Katherine finally got curious enough to try and figure out how to get it out. It is loose inside but not able to be removed :) I like watching her try though. I do not know if there is a meaning behing this or not...I guess that will be on my list of things to find out this week.


The park had little bumper boats (that were not really used for bumping) I did not ride, but stayed out talking to my friend. After a few minutes, Benjamin starts driving his back to the dock. He yells to me that he has to come in because he has a flat tire. My friend asked what was wrong. I was laughing because they were letting Benjamin get a new car, but I for the life of me could not think to tell her what he said, so I ended up saying that he thought is boat had a hole (not nearly as funny...but she was satisfied with the answer).


The park had a little miniature zoo-like place. It was more the size of a petting zoo, but all the animal were in cages. We even saw a chipmunk in a cage. I told my friend that we have those in America, but not in cages. She looked surprised and said, "They run around outside?" She just couldn't believe it. I then realized that either I have not learned yet or have forgotten how to say squirrel, so I opted NOT to try and explain that we have those, too.


We did feed the enormaous fish at the park. If they get as much food as we gave them everyday, then there is no telling how big they will be the next time we see them!