Monday, May 9, 2011

Travel...

I want to start by saying that I am sorry for not having a post last week. I was out of town and just did not find the time like I had hoped.

Well, the highlight was that Jonathan and Lauren got interviewed on the news! They wanted to know what all people want to know...what is it like for a foriegner with 4 children living in this country? And of coarse, don't forget the most popular question of all...do you perm her hair or is it naturally curly? And best of all, he got to use English. OK, well, so he really didn't get interviewed, but it was fun to watch. Some of our friends took us to the Science Museum and one of the things was to see what it was like to be on the news. So none of it was real...no real person or anything, but it did make for some good pictures and laughs. I love the added touch of Lauren looking like she is afraid of the women. Ha!



Lauren was a littel unsure of some things at first, but quickly began to enjoy all of the things there. Her least favorite? I would have to say the robot band...it was a little neat and a little strange all at the same time!


This was a room where all the kids had to work together to move the big bowling ball along. It was fun for all ages. The kids saw all kinds of things and got to "drive a car" and "fly a spaceship" They had several computer simulated games and a 4D ocean movie that the kids enjoyed. (I have a cute picture of Benjamin wearing the glasses but for reasons unknown to me, it will not cooperate and let me put the picture on here...maybe next week)


This was my favorite part of the trip. Katherine doing karaoke. If you know Katherine at all, you know how shy she is, but she loved having a microphone in her hand. She just sang her little heart out. I think she would not have done any of it if she had realized that she was actually on a video OUTSIDE of the room and the speakers were up loud so everyone could see and hear her from outside the booth. Too cute!

So, the REAL reason for the blog being late is that I was traveling. I flew to another city for some language learning and also visited with some friends that I have not seen in quite some time! The city I went to has many different people groups, so the people near the city have all kinds of traditional dress that they wear. My friend's daughter took the next few pictures. I just thought you might enjoy them.









I had to get the traditional shot my the city gates. I really hope to return to this city with all of the family some day. It was beautiful and the weather was great!


We ate at a great little place that served chicken fingers! What a treat! Their son was ready for his taekwondo class. He was glad that we got to see him for a few minutes.


This was a dish that I have not seen in my part of the country, but I really liked it. It was called hu pi jiang jiao...literally translated tiger skin seared peppers. There is not equivelent in the States and I have no idea how to describe the taste, but they were excellent.



A common sight in every city...the little old ladies and their hats :)


We went down several little shopping streets. They have flower street, bird street, pet street, craft street, etc. Anyways, I always find it interesting what you can buy for a pet...this week is it squirrels or chipmunks?


So, I HAD to take a picture of this little girl. She reminded me of Lauren when I saw her. I talked with her parents and asked if her hair was naturally curly or did they give her a perm. (I get that question at least once a day about Lauren) Well, I was a little dissappointed but not surprised. Her hair was permed!



The picture above requires a little explaining. The day before I left, Katherine decided to cut her hair! It was bad to us, but we have heard stories of MUCH worse. It was short enough that we could not get it evened out, but a small enough section that we can make it look decent with hair clips and headbands. Needless to say, all the scissors went up...at least we thought. When I got home, she was quit to point out her taping job on the kid scissors. She said she taped them up so that Lauren could not hurt herself.


The girls and Benjamin also built tents while I was gone. This is in the girls room. Benjamin had one in his room too, but his room is much smaller so you cannot tell much from the picture that we took.
The kids also enjoyed some Little Debbies from the States (and yes, I did, too) What a great unexpected surprise. The funniest part was that they actually delivered four boxes to us. The mailman pointed to the other boxes and said "English" I guess he assumed that all the foreigners in the city know each other. Was was even more odd was that I actually did know them! One was for another foreigner that lives nearby and the other for Banjamin's teacher at school. Go figure. So Jonathan also played mailman while I was gone (on top of being Mom, Dad, and Ayi....it was a holiday so no school and Ayi was off)



Lauren "helping" clean.


I was gone for 5 days and had to bring back a souvenir, so the kids each got a doll in differnet ethnic dress. I think they all enjoyed them. Benjamin thought it was a little funny that the boy doll had such long hair.


I got home just in time to celebrate Mother's Day with my family! Benjamn made me this cake from scratch (Yes, Jenny, from scratch...not a box). Then they made an icing to write Mommy on the cake...with it's own artistic style :) Regan bought me a pen and a small notebook from the store, and all the kids gave me sweet little cards. It was a great day!