Sunday, September 4, 2011

Early Birthday

Katherine's birthday is not until September 24, but her school celebrates all the September birthdays on the first Friday of the month. So, if you want your child to participate in the big party, you can give them 5 kuai for a group photo and bring in a cake. I think this is the first time her school has had cupcakes, but they were special request from Miss Katherine. Typically, they just order a cake from the bread store and have it delivered to the school. But those cakes are very different from what we think of as birthday cakes. So, we baked them ourselves.


Here is Katherine putting her water bottle up. I didn't even get a bye. She loves her class so much. I'm so glad! I guess I will have to wait to see the group picture of her party whenever they get it to me.


She was so excited about her birthday egg! Every year on her birthday, her school gives her a hard boiled egg that is dyed red. I think it's one of her favorite parts about her birthday :) This year, she bit into her egg and it was a twin egg! A super special egg for a super special girl.


She was so excited to show me the gifts that she got from her teachers!


She got some kind of milk juice box (which she did not like at all), 3 pineapple flavored "cookies" (they are more like a fig newton), and a little bunny.


My cultural picture for the week... No matter where you go or where you work people here always get there rest time. I have been to stores during the rest time of day and all the employees are sleeping. I kindof feel bad waking the one's up at the cash register to pay for my things. This picture is from the grocery/vegetable store outside of our apartment.


Benjamin helped me give Doggy Bones a bath this week. I can't stand the smell of wet dog, but the dog looked pretty pitiful. Even my neighbor asked how often we give the dog a bath..hint hint :)


Regan holding a clean dog while it tries to lick her...


The kids had a pool birthday party to go to this weekend. Lauren wore the goggles all the way to the pool, but then never wore them at the pool. I guess she just wanted to feel like a big kid.


Lauren looks so serious wearing her little construction hat at the dinner table. This hat has officially made it through all the kids. I believe it was actually a gift for Benjamin when he was little, but Regan played with it just as much as he did.


We let the girls try sleeping together Friday night since it was not a school night. I was skeptical about them actually going to sleep, but they surprised me.