Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wheels, Goodies, and Belts

 Well, it's the time of year when all of the classes are coming to an end and the parents get to see performances and kids are testing and things are just busy preparing for another CNY.  Lauren does not take skating, but her school had a skate day, and we got to come watch.  They had races and even showed all the parents how they could skate backwards around the court several times!
 Lauren had a lot of fun and even won her race.
 Our weather has been much nicer this winter than what many of our Stateside friends are experiencing.  Yesterday, it was 84, but we have also had many days that dropped into the 60's.  Just cool enough to make us crave a little vegetable soup :)  The crackers weren't the same, but the soup was great!
 Katherine has been a big help recently.  She has decided that she LOVES to do laundry.  So, she has helped wash and dry (and occasionally gets mesmerized by the dryer).
 Lauren had a dance at school.
 Regan and Benjamin practicing before their belt test.
 All the kids that were about to test for green belts! (70 in all)

 YEAH!!! They are green belts!!
 I have never seen child who loves a cat more than this girl.  I have also never seen a cat that is so patient with kids as this cat.  I came out of my room one morning to find that Katherine was already up and had dressed the cat in her baby doll clothes.  This shirt had sleeves and everything!  It reminded me of the movie Pollyanna where the girl walks around with her cat in a stroller with a bonnet on it's head.  I didn't think that kids actually did that kind of thing (and cats let them), but I am learning it can happen.  :)
 We got a nice surprise in the mail this week!  Little Debbies!!! I have to admit, I had one for breakfast.  So good!
 Another sweet surprise this week!  Our friend made the girls matching dresses!  So fun and cute!!
 Doggy Bones got a much needed haircut.  I don't think the cat recognized the dog...Charlie pooled up into a big ball of fur when the dog came back home.  Then again, maybe the cat thought it had won and the house was his :)
 Benjamin and Charlie :)
 Mmmmmm, we also got to enjoy this special treat! I have been wanting a chocolate chip cookie for months!
 So, today, I had to be on an important Skype call regarding our adoption.  I got the kids situated with some schoolwork and then made the call.  Katherine was watching a science video.  When I finished the call, Katherine had made her very own flashlight helmet!  I was VERY impressed!
 I really only expected her to watch the video, not do the experiments herself.  That is Katherine, though. She is my science girl.  She used three batteries, a ruler, tape, a light bulb, two wires, and aluminum foil.  I guess I do not have to worry about this first grader being able to follow directions.

 These two also had a belt test!  They are now yellow belts! YEAH!!!
 Lauren was so nervous about having to break a board.  She did fantastic!  After she broke the first board, you could see her confidence go up.

Katherine also did fantastic! She broke her boards, too.  Now, we are finished with all of he end of semester performances and are preparing for the adoption of our son!  We look forward to him coming home next week!