Monday, February 21, 2011

Busy and Fun

In addition to our language learning, we have been doing many things this week. The first thing on the agenda was to hold this sweet little baby! Our friends returned home after having their baby girl. She is adorable and I am so glad they are back!

We had a family over to our home for dinner one night. The kids enjoyed jumping on the bed together. The little girl was having so much fun and did not want to leave. Most kids here have no toys or only one or two things. The mom told me that they felt like they were in a toy store. I was a little embarrassed at first, but I am so glad that many of the local kids want to spend so much time in our home. It is great for the kids and us, too!

Our dinner was actually after Valentine's Day, but we decided to save the cookie making for this day instead. It was a first for them to make sugar cookies and decorate them. Everyone enjoyed eating them, and then our friends asked us why American desserts are sweet. I said, "I don't know. I just thought that is what a dessert was." :)


We spent the day with some more friends and he taught the kids how to make balloon animals. They had so much fun. (and I jumped every time a balloon popped) They learned how to make so many really cool things. If I can remember (or get good at it) I will have to show you the story of Jonah using a balloon. It was quite fascinating.

Katherine's favorite? Pirate swords. She wanted one in every color :)

Benjamin loved his parrot that really did sit on his shoulder. It goes perfect with his pirate patch that he plays with.

We were invited over to some other friend's home for dinner one night. We have learned that it is customary to bring a gift (although not required) SO, the kids really enjoyed picking out these flowers to take over to their home. We learned a few things on this trip that we are tucking away in our memory for the next time we go to someone's home. The main thing is...we might want to bring our own chopsticks. We never thought about it before, but it is probably rare for someone to need THAT many chopsticks at a meal. We do more than double the size of the typical family here.

One of the main courses...chicken feet! I have to say it was a first for me. I see them for sale all the time, but we never buy them. Our hosts got a kick out of watching us try to eat them with chopsticks...I could not do it without getting messy. They ended up giving all of us tissue to clean our hands while they were spotless. I still can't figure out how they devoured it so well, I could not figure it out. I guess it takes practice. Oh, and yes, those are fingernails (as the kids like to say)!

The biggest fan in our family of the dish...

After dinner, we went outside to play. It was actually already past our kid's bedtime and it was a schoolnight, but we made the exception. Our host had a remote controlled helicopter and wanted to fly it for the kids. Well, he drew quite the crowd of kids. It was hilarious to watch all these kids walk under the helicopter laughing and cheering.

This is a guy that I am alway wanting to take a picture of but haven't until now. He is the local barber. Now, don't get me wrong. There are PLENTY of places to get your hair cut in a store, but this guy ALWAYS has someone under his umbrella. So, he must be good, right? I'm not brave enough to try. :) I think he only does men anyways.