Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Year of the Rabbitt


Well, we have officially celebrated the new year! We woke up New year's eve morning to the sound of firecrackers. They went off all day long. I took the kids out to play and just observed the people around me. There were not as many people out, but the one's that were out, I had never seen before. I saw many fathers playing basketball with their sons or helping them skate or picking leaves with their daughter. There was also a lot of picture taking...moms and dads posing with their child while another relative took the picture. You could see the love that these parents had for their children. I feel so very lucky that I can see my kids each and every day.
My neighbor invited me over to watch them paint the couplet for the doors. The one in the picture is the one they made for our door. Each one says something different and is kind of like a poem for the new year. I meant to take a picture of it up on our door, but forgot. I'll try to get one for next week.

Our neighbor also gave the kids new clothes to wear. You can see that Katherine will always find a way to make it her own style :)

Jonathan took the three older kids out to watch some of the fireworks that were happening outside (I stayed in with Lauren because she was a bit scared and we had a GREAT view) So, Lauren and I are on our balcony watching and listening when there is a knock on our door. It was Benjamin. He got so scared that he took off running and didn't stop until he got all the way home. He said he liked fireworks in America better because they were higher in the sky. Jonathan had already called me to let me know Benjamin had run off. I knew he was headed home. Jonathan and the kids only stayed for a few minutes at the basketball court. I think it was a little too overwhelming. I personally like seeing and hearing everyone's fireworks from our apartment.

On New Year's Day, everyone was dressed in their best clothes. Everyone buys new clothes for the new year and goes out. The children will say "happy new year" to people they see out and the adults will give them red envelopes filled with new money for the new year. I told our kids they would not get any (did not want them to be disappointed or to expect it) but they got 10 each. They were thrilled!
The fireworks have continued EVERY night. So, bedtime has been late every night. It's just so hard to get kids to sleep when there are all kinds of cool fireworks going off right outside their windows! I had to go out to buy some water because we were out (all the smaller stores are closed for the 2 week holiday...only the large chain stores are open). When I was walking, I could barely see because the air was so thick from the smoke from the fireworks. It's like nothing I have seen before.
We finally found a new bike for Benjamin. He gave his pink bike (that was really too small for him) to Katherine about 2 months ago. We happened to find a bike just his size and to top it off it was orange. I am so glad he and Regan both have had bikes during the break. It has been great for them to ride together.
Katherine got a very late birthday package this week. Her birthday was in September, so she was quite surprised to get a birthday present (I think it was lost in the mail, but it eventually got to her)
I am sooo excited that I have another cook in the family! :) Regan has become quite the pancake maker. Jonathan made all the batter and then let her do the rest. She made breakfast for all of us and it was great! (Now if I can just find a kid that likes to wash dishes...)
Regan's masterpieces....yummy.

Another surprise this week was for the kids. They love hearing stories from Auntie Em, but we have never done it via skype. It was great! The kids loved it just as much as if it were in person. Benjamin is still talking about the hippo and the train track and the chicken named Chicken Biscuit...you'll just have to ask Emily :)