Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Building Up

Katherine started liu bing ke (roller blading class) at her kindergarten this week.  She was so excited about it.  I had to go out the day before class to buy her some pads because they would not let her skate without them.  They were too cute to watch.
 This little exercise had to be done with their hands behind their backs.  She was quite good.  They did this other thing where they lined up and were in a crouching position and the teacher would blow a whistle.  When he blew the whistle their arms would fly into a "racing position" with one arm in the front and one in the back.  He would blow the whistle again and they would switch.  I tried to get a video, but as soon as I got my video ready they were finished.
 So this week we were focusing on building each other up.  To help the kids get a visual Jonathan and I did a couple short sketches for them and then we had our block project.  Every time someone was "caught" building someone else up, they would get a building block.  At the end of the week, we would bring all of our blocks together, work TOGETHER and see how TOGETHER we could build a cool building.  Our little project was fun and the kids seemed to really get it.  It may not look like a lot of blocks in the picture, but everyone had some to contribute and they only earned the blocks at home after school (which is after 5pm in this country).
Jonathan was enjoying his massage.  The kids were having so much fun.   
 Benjamin contributed with all the "exercises" that they do in school every day.  At school in between each class the kids are required to exercise/massage their ears, temples, nose, forehead, fingers, and arms.  It's supposed to help them learn better.  Maybe....
 Katherine helping with dinner.
 Lauren seeing what she looks like in Daddy's glasses.
 So, this is what the view from our apartment looked like for the first 3 months we lived in our new city.  It was such a nice changed to be able to see a little sky and a pretty view.  Well, it appears that those days may have gone and the pollution is bad in this city, too.  It is unbelievable to me how little we can see.  I took this picture today (below) and things have actually improved a lot this week, but as you can see, still not great. 
I met two ladies this past weekend from America.  They don't live in my city but a nearby one.  They are new to this country and wanted to know what I miss most about America.  My answer?  The sky and sunsets :)   My answer may change from month to month, but I think that will be in my top ten for awhile!