Monday, June 1, 2015

City Happenings

 Yes, we are still in full swing of school around here.  The American brain in me wants to be done because it's "summer" but the kids here have summer break in July and August.  We try to keep them on that schedule as best as we can so that they have more time to play with the local kids. We have done a lot of school and a lot of other things since the last post.
 I was walking around town running errands when I saw this guy riding his bike.  I do believe those have to be the biggest wheels I have ever seen on a bicycle!
 I had one happy girl this week!  Katherine is my introvert and likes to have some alone time.  With four brothers and sisters, that can be a task to find a quiet place alone.  She decided over a month ago that she was "moving out" of her sisters' room (my two extroverts who think they "need" to talk to fall asleep).  So for over a month now Katherine has taken over the school/craft room.  She was so determined that she was even sleeping on the hard floor.  The room is pretty small so I though that I may be able to find a small couch that pulls out into a bed and that would give her more room.  Well, we found one and it is perfect!  She LOVES it and it's comfy, too!
Jonathan surprised our older two with an afternoon movie!  Yep, Avengers.  He even bought them shirts to go watch the movie.  That night Benjamin told me that it was one of the best days of his life. 

 Since they were at the movies, and Katherine was not old enough to see such an action packed movie,  I took Hudson and Katherine to play a few games at the arcade (Lauren was sleeping at school).  Hudson's favorite was the motorcycle...no surprise there.
 They won several tickets and got to get a prize.  True to her form, Katherine got the craziest grossest thing available....a ball that was file with cockroaches!  EEEWWW!  They look so real!  I told her if she pops the ball I am throwing all of the pieces in the trash!

 Someone was practicing how she was going to walk and pose for her fashion show at school...it's so her! :)
 Our morning routine....drop Lauren off at the school gate, wait for her to get her hands and mouth checked for hand foot mouth disease and watch her run up the hill toward her class.  We usually wait at the bottom because she will wave to us at the top of the hill, but this day she had a handful of classmates waiting for her to get through the "checkpoint" so they could race up the hill.  She absolutely loves that school.
 Fun view of the city
 We went out to eat with Ayi.  Now Hudson wants to go out EVERY night..funny kiddo.
 Getting ready to go to Taekwondo class...Lauren is already practicing her kicks and Hudson is bundled up in his rain coat....yes, it is the rainy season....or the downpour season...sometimes I wonder if the umbrellas do us any good, but I know they have to help a little.
 We had family ice-cream night at McDonald's.
 Benjamin was really enjoying his Oreo Mclurry.

 So those two faces take a little explaining.  Jonathan made the comment to Lauren how he loves the way she wrinkles her nose.  We were all making a big deal about it and she was loving the attention.  Little brother says, "See, I can do it, too!"  We just laughed and laughed because there is not a single wrinkle on that sweet little face, but I think he got the lips down :)

 So whenever it rains, this particular covered swing gets a pool of water on top. My children love to go dump the water after a shower.  We were on the way home after a storm and they asked if they could stand under it with their umbrellas....ONLY if Mommy gets a picture :)  Regan and Lauren pushed the water and Katherine and Benjamin stood underneath.  Hudson watched with me.
It was apparently Buddha's birthday.  I don't keep up with those kinds of things, but the fire works were going off all over the city.  Katherine and I were running an errand together and we kept running into the "lion" (I usually say dragon).  It was fascinating to watch as it went throughout the streets.  It would stop at any business that had and "offering" for him (see above...the food handing on a string) It would do this dance in front of the store and in the store, set off firecrackers to ward off any evil spirits, and "eat" the offering.  After that it continues down the street setting off firecrackers and looking for another store to visit.  I told Katherine that they probably thought we were following them because we ran into them several times throughout the day.

 Here is the lion doing one of his dances.  If you have a minute, watch the video below.  It will give you an idea of what it's like...it's worth seeing


We were in a bit of a hurry to get to Lauren's performance at school. Hudson doesn't walk very fast, so he got to be carried.  He may not look too happy in one of the pictures, but he was thrilled that he didn't have to walk all the way there.  
 I was told on Tuesday that I hadn't brought Lauren's outfit to school yet....I guess the look on my face told it all....the teacher said "oh, Lauren didn't tell you.  You have to MAKE her outfit and I need it tomorrow!  The outfit for Meimei's dad doesn't have to be ready until the show" What?! I began thinking, "Why did she sign up for the fashion show?"  I quickly went to a little shop and bought some ribbon and tulle and...instant tutu!  Then the show comes....and all I can think is, "THANK YOU, LAUREN for NOT signing your mom and dad up for the other options!"
 Really?!  I would not be up on stage in front of 300 people doing these dances and in these outfits! Oh, if only you could see the video that I have of this.  I just don't have time to upload them all, but the Dad dance is just too much! I had to share. Can you picture this being Jonathan?  He was also very grateful to be in the fashion show with his baby girl!

 Here is Little Miss with her Daddy.  She was LOVING every second of it!!

 I went in to a local tea shop to get some tea.  I'm not really sure what someone would do with that much tea. :)


 My two after the performance!  So sweet :)
 I had to take a short trip and Daddy had the kiddos on his own for International Children's Day....so a trip to the grocery store, ice-cream, and a day at the part with friends...
Playing a game similar to the American duck duck goose....and Regan being a good big sister teaching Hudson how to play.