Monday, September 21, 2015

Happy 8th Birthday, Katherine!

 Happy Birthday to this beautiful, creative, shy, sweet, fun-loving girl.  Her actual birthday is still o few days away, but her party was this weekend.
 She requested an art birthday, which turned out to be lots of fun. We tried to make everything as artistic and fun as possible.
 So, that started with the cake!  The inside was pink camouflage.  So fun!
 The outside of the cake was a little more challenging.  I thought this would be my easiest cake yet, but my brain decided to have "cake block" (not writer's block) :)  I just couldn't get any of my ideas to work and then couldn't do the paintbrush or anything.  My sweet hubby, made the paintbrush and then  after a couple tries, I was finally able to get the cake put together.  I think my favorite part was adding her name to the paintbrush...it was the first thing she noticed :)
 Hudson and Winter wearing their party hats....too cute!
 Katherine really wanted a stuffed crust pizza, so her daddy made one for her.  It was his first attempt and was really good!
 Time to eat!!
 My seaweed loving girl!  She got many nice things and had a great time.  We were so glad that her friend from another city was able to come for the weekend.  The party turned into a slumber party...3 of her friends ended up staying the weekend. She had a really special time!
 We had an ice-cream station complete with sprinkles and CHOCOLATE SYRUP! :)
 I had already made the cupcakes to go with my original cake idea. The cupcakes were orange sheet flavored cake and raspberry sherbet icing with little paint pallets on top.  Her big cake was one of my typical flavored cakes...white cake and buttercream icing.
 Katherine's plate
 party selfie
 I forgot to get a group shot at the beginning....here are her friends that were there, minus the "big" kids and her other siblings.

 close up of on of the cupcakes
What a pretty sunset the day of her party!

Well, the party was not the only thing that happened this week.  Here is a glimpse of some others.  These are the flowers in our "science" corner at the house.  The kids are learning about plants and animals and lots of flowers.  We decided to plant some of our own and see if any of them grow. So far only Katherine has a couple sprouting up.

In history, they were learning what an ice age was.  So to help them to remember the definition of an ice age, we played this little game.  They all laid down and I put a piece of ice on their bellies.  As the  ice melted from their body heat they had to tell me what a glacier and things like that, but most of all we had lots of laughs!
I got a new bike this week.  My old bike was pretty messed up.  It was hard for me just to pouch let alone ride with Hudson on the back.  We decided that it was time to replace it and since Hudson is getting heavier, we are going to put his seat on the back of Jonathan's bike :) 
Here are a couple of pictures that I got from Mamaw and Papaw that I really love!  This little guy LOVES sauté sticks!
This is just pure sweetness! :)
walking in the rain

This is me being a proud mama. Hudson has really improved in his drawing skills!  You can now see that his person has eyes, eyebrows, nose, mouth, hair, ears, legs and arms. Can you tell who it is??  It's me :) Oh, and yes, he wrote his name and the numbers all by himself.